Pages

Storm Story

Friday, November 9, 2012

 
I am very grateful that my friends and family are all safe.  We have had a trying few weeks here in the Northeast.  Hurricane Sandy hit us Monday and we lost power.  We were expecting to be without power for 14-20 days from the estimates we were getting.  We didn't have any real way of getting any information.  Our cell phones barely worked.  The roads were too dangerous to attempt.  We were lucky to have a gas stove and a hot water heater so we could at least warm up in the shower and cook a little something on the stove top.  My parents, I knew, couldn't do either.  Without cell phone service, we couldn't even call to check on them.

 
We found out we have some really great neighbors.  We have always been friendly with our neighbors, but nothing brings everyone out of their homes like something like this.  We saw power cords crisscrossing the streets as people shared generator power with as many people as they could if for no other reason than to save some of the food they had in their refrigerators.  The next day we were able to get out and check on our parents.  The roads were very dangerous without traffic signals and so many downed trees and wires.
 
 
Finally, on Thursday, our power had come back on, but we still did not have Internet or TV to see how devastated the coast was.  We knew it was bad and had heard stories, but until I went into work on Friday and saw the pictures for myself I didn't understand just how bad it had been.  My husband ordered a generator that didn't arrive until after the power had been restored, but thankfully he did because we are using it now.  The snow storm hit us on Wednesday.  With so many weakened trees, it was only a matter of time until we lost power again.  We still do not have power, but I am so thankful for helpful neighbors and a new generator that is keeping us warm. 
My parent's power came back on this morning at 3am so I have my fingers crossed that ours will come back soon too. All in all we are super lucky.  My heart aches for those who have lost so much.
 
I made this card on one of the days during the storm.  I used bright, happy colors!
I used the Quilt Cuts die from Wplus9.  On the first pass through my cuttlebug it didn't cut all the way through.  Just before I ran it through again I stopped and said, "Ohh, that would make a pretty flower!"  I loved it so much I wanted to make another one. (I'll share that one later)  As I was making my second flower I ran it through the cuttlebug hoping it wouldn't cut all the way through. Lol!
 


Cardstock: PTI White, Simply Chartreuse
Paper: My Mind's Eye
Stamps: WP9 Folk Art Florals, PTI Birthday Tags
Ink: PTI Smokey Shadow
Dies: WP9 Quilt Cuts, PTI Double Ended Banner Die, Half and Half Die
Other: Button, Silver Pearl

17 comments :

  1. I don't always know where my blog friends are, and didn't realize what you have been going through! Glad that the initial power predictions were wrong and that you've made it through relatively unscathed....hopefully your power will be back again soon. I'm always struck, especially during an election season, by how resiliant we are. Despite differences in beliefs/convictions, when it comes right down to it, we are there for one another. Thanks so much for sharing this lovely card and story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you again Kara! I have been thinking of you each time I see pictures. It's wonderful you found the silver lining in this storm ....how kind and helpful everyone. Is. Stay warm and glad your parents are ok too.
    Love the bad die cut.....great idea to use it ....it is beautiful ,so is your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! So good to know that you are fine, even though you have to deal with all the difficulties. We've seen horrible images! Hope all will settle fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara, I'm so thankful you and your family are okay. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your community. I love your beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are doing ok, so sorry that you had to go through such a hard time. From the news reports it must have been so awful. I love your accidental discovery with the pretty flower, it looks great that way, you should make mistakes more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara Thank goodness you and your family are doing well!! So glad everyone worked together to make things a little easier! You're flower is beautiful - shows your optimism always looking for the sunny side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yikes! thanks goodness you're ok! I didn't realize how bad you were having it... hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs to you, Kara! I'm glad you're safe and sound!
    Beautiful card-- I'm glad you can keep your spirits up during this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a trying time you've had! Glad you're safe and sound and have found ways to put a silver lining in this tragedy. It sometimes strikes me as sad that it takes something tragic like this to bring people together, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kara your card is stunning, the flower is so so pretty. W

    hat is most important is that you and your family are going to be okay. My heart goes out to all of you, we have seen the devastation and can only imagine what you must all be going through. Take care. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kara, I'm so glad to hear you and your family are safe and sound. I'm also super-pleased to hear you now have a generator, and just in time!

    Your card is really pretty. It appeals to me hugely! You made me giggle with your hoping the cuttlebug wouldn't cut properly for that second card... Now I'm in suspense wondering if it did! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your power comes back on soon! We are seriously thinking about a generator after hearing about all of you in NJ and NY. My brother-in-law in Manahwakin went out and bought 3 to give out to friends/family/in-laws the day after it hit! One of these days an ice storm is going to hit us again, and we'll be needing one! So glad to hear that your family is fine. Praying for all of you down there!

    PS...This card is SO lovely! It's nice that we have a hobby that we can do without power...good ole cuttlebugs! And one that can make us feel warm on the inside ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that you are OK, and now you have a generator, and know your neighbors. It is surreal to see pictures in the newspapers and on TV of the devastation, and then look outside here where it is warm and sunny. I can't even imagine. Well, stay safe, warm, and dry, and keep on crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kara, I'm so glad to hear that you and all of your family are ok. What a crazy time, hurricane then terrible blizzard!!

    This card is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colour scheme, all of the layers and that beautiful flower. :)

    I also want to thank you so very much for my birthday card. It is fabulous! I really appreciate you thinking of me.

    Take care,
    Kasia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Kara! You guys are so strong to make it through two awful storms so close together. My fingers are crossed for you that the power is restored asap. Such caring neighbors. I love the story of the crisscrossed power cords :)

    I can't believe you made that awesome flower out of the quilt cute! Wait, who am I kidding? Of course I can believe it because you are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's just so great seeing you post again! :)
    I'm glad that you're safe...
    that you're family's safe...
    I know so many lost so much during the storm and I was worried and was so glad to just hear that you were safe!
    And YAY for accidental discoveries!!:)
    LOVE that fabulous flower...
    wonder if I can get mine to do that? :)
    Gorgeous card!
    But they always are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your beautiful 'accidental' flower--so extra lovely cut from that patterned paper! I'm so glad to know you and your family are safe and doing well in spite of the two storms. Watching the news reports has been heartbreaking but it's wonderful to see how people have been helping each other. Hope your power is back on by now!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |